Friday, February 1, 2008

Survival of the fittest

Ok I'm sure I'm not the first one to realize this, but my husband and I were pondering this very thought this morning on our morning commute.

We've heard and been saying "survival of the fittest" most of our educational life. I really hadn't given much thought to it until recently. Then it occurred to me. This phrase is grammatically incorrect. Shouldn't it be survival of the most fit?

I'm just saying.

Please ....someone set me straight and correct me if I'm wrong. Because now it bugs me.

2 comments:

Lori Elliott said...

You are totally correct. "Survival of the fittest," is grammatically incorrect....therefore, that Spencer dude and Darwin were not the smartest fish in the sea nor the brightest monkies in the jungle (ok, this is my lame attempt at poking fun at their evolution-natural selection theories). All to say, YOU ARE RIGHT ON, GIRL!!!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Ok,now that's going to bug me every time I hear that phrase :) I will have to do some googling.

Greta

Who liknks to me? Ask me how....just kidding. Just click here.