Wednesday, March 26, 2008

And the mother of the year award goes to.......

Yeah...not me. Hard to imagine I know.

My kids are lucky they made it through the day with all of their teeth intact. For those of you that don't know me, let me fill you in a little here. I have a bit of a warped sense of humor. That was in fact a joke.

Sarcasm. Look into it.

Anyhow, we had a rough day to say the least.

It started off when my husband woke up only to discover that he had pulled a muscle in his back. He had helped some teenagers in the zoo parking lot push start their car. It seemed simple enough. You see someone having car trouble, you help them. It was three teenage girls desperately trying to push a car to drop the clutch. He jumped in and lent a hand. However when he asked if they needed help, they all stopped pushing and just let him do all the work by himself. During this process, he over did it. It seemed like a good idea. He's always getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop when it comes to helping people out. But it never stops him. And that is why we love him so :)

So because of this, what with the inability to move and all, he couldn't ride his bike to work today. So I drove him. Which normally isn't a problem, however it was just sort of early. He needs to be there at 7 am. So I brewed some coffee and made up some breakfast to eat in the car and away we went.

Then there are the kids. My precious little lambs.

Bug woke up in a grumpy mood. Then it spilled over to Sunshine which in turn she took it out on Peanut. I then had to listen to it ......ALL DAY.

Bug wanted to play the Wii which means that we all have to watch him play wii. Sunshine doesn't really mind it so much, but I have to sort of stick pretty close as he gets frustrated with a level on a game and starts getting mouthy with us all. So we have set time limits for him. I think he just gets a little over stimulated. Well, when time was up he pitched the mother of all fits and stormed off. Then he trashed his room some. When that got old, he came back down and picked a fight with his sister. Then he got annoyed with his brother and yelled at him. All the while I am riding him and sending him to sit on the stairs (our version of the naughty chair) and I am giving lectures about respect and positive behavior vs. negative behavior and better choices... blah,blah,blah. I feel like I spent the majority of my day disciplining and correcting. However by about the 12th trip to the steps, I was tired of my own voice.

Then there was Sunshine. Sweet as she is, she is under the impression that the only way to be heard in this house is to say the same sentence over and over and over and over and over. But in a whiny sing song voice. This seems innocent enough, however when you have to listened to the same sentence 154 times, it gets real old real quick. Not to mention the tone. The whine is enough to drive me to drink. Now I know I used to have a tone when I was little that would make my mom insane (maybe that is what happened :) So I am taking this moment to formally apologize to my mom in front of God and everyone that I am soooo sorry that I ever used that whiny voice. I only now see the damage it does. So basically what I am saying here is that I just had her constant chatter (about nothing in particular) in my ear all day. Also she felt the absolute need to be perched on my lap all day. Normally this is cute and encouraged. But when you are trying to pay bills and lecture her older brother, it just gets too clingy and needy. The cute fades when the annoyance factor comes in.

Then there was Peanut. Well I only have one word here that all mothers will agree is just some sort of cruel joke. Molars. He is cutting 5 molars all at the same time. What a blessing!! So basically there was not a lot I could do about this other than give him baby tylenol and a nice big cold carrot to gnaw on. (old remedy, works great on teething gums.) Enter the drool.

Bug-Mom!!! He's gonna get drool on me!!!
Me-Be nice to him he doesn't feel good
Bug-He's gross and bad for drooling!~!!
Me-Hey!! He is not!! You used to drool like that too!!
Bug-No I didn't !! Get him away from me!!!! smack
Peanut-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
Me-ok now you need to go to the stairs and don't get up until you are ready to apologize to your brother.

* Ok now repeat that scenario about 30 times. Throw in Sunshine pinching one of the two and that would about look like my day.

Rinse....repeat.

So now here I am. Best mother ever!!

It was sort of a dreary day and as soon as the sun dipped down just a little, it looked darker and later than it really was. I saw my chance and jumped at it. My sin here.....I took advantage of my kids inability to tell time. They were teeth brushed, prayers said and tucked in bed at 6:30 tonight. Really....they were none the wiser.

Do I feel a little guilty? Yeah a little. Could I have handled the day any better? Possibly.

I read a quote once that I always try to keep in mind when I have days like these....

"The days are long, but the years are short"

One day I look back and reread this blog post when my kids are all out of the nest. I am sure I will miss all of this. I'm sure I will be one of those people that give the cliche "enjoy it because it goes soo fast" .

But tonight.....I am just going to pour myself a glass of wine, kick the toys out of the tub and have me a nice bubble bath.

Preferably with no one in my lap.

0 comments:

Who liknks to me? Ask me how....just kidding. Just click here.